The ancient Hindu science of Vastu Shastra is well known around the world. Known also as the "science of construction", the principles of Vastu Shastra focus on directional alignments, and how they can be used well in bringing peace and harmony to homes. Vastu for a home is considered important by many across the world today, as successful implementation of the Vastu principles have brought about significant positive changes in many peoples' lives.
Vastu for Kitchen
- The ideal location of the kitchen is the southeast corner of the house, with northwest being the second best option.
- Cooking activity should be done while facing east, as it's an auspicious direction. The other option is north direction.
- Electrical items such as microwaves, juicers and mixers should be placed in the southeast corner of the kitchen.
- The refrigerator should be in the northwest, southeast, south or west.
- The kitchen must have adequate provision for cross-ventilation.
Vastu for Upstairs
- If the steps leading to the entrance are damaged or broken, then the master of the house will face problems with his career and his expenses will soar.
- The number of steps in stairs should be odd. It should not end with zero. The number of risers should be such odd numbers that if divided by 3, the remainder is always 2.
- Must be located as far as possible to the South or S-W portion of the building.
- The rise of the staircase should be from east to west or north to south. A clockwise movement is beneficial.
- While ascending the staircase, the face should be either towards the north or the east.
- Do not design staircase of a building in the north-east portion.
- According to the principles of Vastu Shastra the staircase can be constructed in any direction except North-East. If in some old house, the staircase is in the North-East, then a room should be constructed in South-East to lessen its ill-effects.
- Paint staircase in light colors. Avoid red and black color.
- Do not make staircase circular as it may cause ill effects on health.
- Do not build any room such as kitchen, bathroom and Pooja room under staircase. However it can be used for storage.
- Do not use common staircase for going upstairs and basement.
Vastu for Doors & Windows
- There should be more number of doors and windows opening on the East and North side of the house design.
- Main door vastu rules state that the main door of the house should be the tallest door and no other door should exceed it in height.
- As far as possible, all doors should be of the same height, but in the case that is not possible, the taller doors should only be in the Southern and Western directions.
- The total number of doors in the house design should not be odd or add up to the number 10.
- As far as possible, doors and windows in a room should be placed opposite to each other to promote cross ventilation and energy flow.
- No doors should be placed at the very center of a wall. They should be slightly off-centered.
- The shape of the doors and windows in the house design should be rectangular. Try to avoid squares and irregular shapes.
- The height to width ratio of all doors should be 2:1.
- It is preferable to use a single type of wood for all doors and windows. Teak is the most preferred wood.
- Noisy doors and hinges cause quarrel, so they should be repaired immediately.
- If a cracked door is present, it should be replaced immediately.
- According to main door vastu, there should be no obstruction in front of the main road like a tree or statue. The pathway leading to the main door should be obstacle-free.
Vastu for Bedroom
- The main bedroom should be constructed in the south-west direction.
- The bed should never be placed below a beam.
- Square and rectangle shape bedrooms are perfect for ensuring peace and prosperity.
- Avoid hanging pictures that depict violence or sorrow.
- Any reflective surfaces such as mirrors and televisions should be covered at night while sleeping.
- Sleep with your head towards South.
- Minimise clutter in your room as clutter represents the unfinished tasks of your life.
Vastu for Bathroom
- It should not be located in east, north or northeast direction.
- It should not be in northeast and center place of the house.
- It should not be near kitchen and under the stairs.
- If a change room is built in bathroom, it should be in South or West direction.
- The mirror should be on northern or eastern wall.
- The door should not be in south-west direction.
- Washing machine can be placed in south-east and north-west direction directions.
Vastu for Water Tank
- The overhead water tank should be located in the west or the south-west direction of the building.
- The overhead water tank in this direction should be at least 2 feetabove the topmost slab. The water tank should not touch the slab.
- The overhead water tank should not leak or seep water. Dampnessand wetness in the south-west region is not considered auspicious inVastu.
- The overhead water tank should not be placed in the north- eastside, as this corner should not be heavy due to the weight of the tank.Although a small sized tank may be placed.
- Over head tank should not be located in the southeast corner also. Ifit is built here then it may lead to loss of wealth and accidents areprobable.
- The effects of overhead tank in the south direction are moderate. The water tank should be placed 2 feet above the slab of the roof andit should not leak.
- The west corner is also considered auspicious in Vastu, as according to Hindu beliefs, this is the direction of god of rainfall, LordVaruna. The overhead water tank can be installed on top of a slab.
- Overhead tank should not be in the north-west direction. If the water tank is constructed in this side due to lack of any other location,then the tank should be small sized and placed 2 feet away from the north-west corner.
- Care must be taken so that the tank is not built in the middle, which is considered as the Bramhasthan, as per Hindu beliefs. Thereshould not be any sort of load of pressure in this location, as it can result unhappiness and other negative outcomes.
- Plastic water tanks should not be used and avoided as much as possible. But if plastic reservoirs are used, then it should be of blackor blue colours. Moreover, separate tanks should be used for different purposes lik e for drinking, toilets, washing, cooking etc.
Vastu for Pooja Room
- The Puja room in your home should be in the east, the north or the north-east corner of the house.
- Puja room should not be in the south direction.
- The Puja mandir should not be in the bedroom.
- The Puja room should not be above, below or next to bathroom or kitchen.
- Puja room should not be built below the stairs
- The Puja room should have doors and windows in the north or the east.
Vastu for Dining Room
- It is best to have the dining room in the western side of the house, but if that is not feasible, then the northern or eastern side is the second best. However, a southern side dining room should be avoided as far as possible.
- During meals, the head of the family should be seated facing the east, while the other members of the family may sit facing any of the three – east, north or west. However, facing the south while eating should be avoided as it can lead to disputes.
- The doors of the dining room should be towards the east, west or north side of the house.
- The shape of the dining table should not be round, oval, hexagonal or irregular. It should be square or rectangular. The dining table should not touch the walls, or it should not be of the types that fold up against a wall.
- Drinking water should be stored in the north-eastern part of the dining room.
- The wash basin, if located in the dining area, should not be in the south-east or the north-west. It should be located in the northern or the eastern parts of the house.
- Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that there should not be an attached toilet to the dining room. However, a place for washing clothes and utensils may be there.
- The main door of the house and of the dining room should not face each other, the reason being that if someone walks into the house, he should not bump straight into someone eating.
Vastu for Study Room
- A study room must always be located in the east, north or north-east of a house. The child must face east or north while studying. Also the space in front of the child while studying must not be cluttered and should preferably be open.
- The shape of the study table should be rectangular or square and the size of the table should be medium.
- Students should avoid sitting below overhead beams.
- Never place cabinets in the centre of the study room.
- Book shelves must never be above the study table. The study table should not be cluttered by books.
- Table lamps help enhance a child’s concentration. The study room should be well lit.
- Bright colours such as yellow, pink and orange in the study room improves the child’s concentration.
Vastu for Children Room
- For children bedroom west is the best direction. For girl's room north west is best, whereas for boys it can be northern and eastern part of the house.
- Entrance door of children bedroom should be in the north or east, and it should have one shutter only.
- The window should be opposite to the door & it should be small in west as compared to the one in east or north direction.
- Furniture should be few inches away from walls.
- Bed should be placed at south direction and some space should be left around the bed. if space cannot provide around the bed, then you can place the bed at south west corner or south or west corner.
- While sleeping children should place their head at east side and legs towards west side. It Is very profound way for them to have high intelligence & knowledge. This position can raise more memory power.
- For almirahs and cabinet south or west direction is appropriate.
- Computer and television should not be placed in children bedroom and if you wish to place so the south east direction is suitable for television and can place computer in north direction of the room.
- LCD or the monitor at night reflects the bed, which behaves like a mirror & reflects bad energy.
- If you want to place study table in bedroom, then it should be in south direction that child could face east, north and northeast while studying.
- In children room up-light at south-east corner, it is good for health and also tends to generate positive energy too. Never use sharp lights and spot lights as it creates mental strain.
- Color affects mood a lot and even every aspect of life. Basically green color is ideal for children’s bedroom as it increases brain power and also provides the freshness and peace.
- These few tips can be beneficial for the physical as well as mental development of your child & will provide the happiness and allow him/her to excel in all fields.